When it comes to caring for our bodies, we can use various products to help us do that. One such product often associated with long-term body and skin care is that of lavender oil. This extremely powerful oil substance has become a go-to choice for many people who are looking for a sumptuous, beautifully scented health care product.
Taken from the lavender plant itself, this particular oil has been used for years in various forms of healing. It’s also a common essential oil to be found in things like fragrance and cosmetics due to the luxurious, beautiful smell of lavender. It’s been linked to various forms of long-term health care, but is it any good for your hair?
Lavender Oil For Hair: Benefits
Lavender oil for hair has long been a common product used in shampoos and conditions. how beneficial is it for our hair though? Let’s take a look at some of the associated links to using lavender oil, and what it could do for your hair:
- A study linked lavender oil to helping to promote hair growth, with hair growth accelerating in mice.
- Along with other essential oils, it’s been linked in a study to helping combat alopecia aerate.
- It’s also been linked with being able to kill off pests, including lice. Could also help to prevent lice.
- Lavender is also linked with being a strong antimicrobial substance, which can help to kill off bacteria and fungus in and around your scalp.
- The above means that lavender is also linked with the killing off of dandruff.
- Some early studies also link it with stopping inflammation of the skin and the scalp.
Lavender Oil Side Effects
Lavender oil is a product that has more or less been proven to be safe to use on our hair, body, and skin. However, we would always recommend speaking to a medical professional before using lavender oil. And be sure that if you do intend to use that you properly dilute the substance before going any further. This should limit any issues you may have such as skin irritation. If you think that you might be allergic to lavender, then you should speak to a medical professional and gain a second opinion.
Written by Jordan Prichard. Medically reviewed by Dr. Shane Jackson, MBBS. Last modified on 20/05/2020.
Dr. Shane Jackson a UK based doctor, working within the NHS for 9 years. With experience in both Medicine and Surgery, his time is now spent mainly in Elderly care and Rehabilitation. Outside of his clinical work he has a strong educational presence, teaching undergraduates and foreign doctors wishing to work in the UK. He is passionate about the dissemination of healthcare for all, providing consultancy for health, well-being and biotech startups worldwide. Dr. Jackson is the founder of Acrosophy, which helps school leavers applying to medical, dental and associated courses at the top universities in the country.
Feel free to connect with him on LinkedIn.